Sunday, February 18, 2024

Nashville Meeting

Kris had a meeting in Nashville over his birthday, so I went with him!

Day one

We stayed at the Marriott Downtown, and I ran right to the pedestrian bridge as soon as we got there. It's just so pretty! I ran/walked to Vanderbilt, because although I had been to campus once, I didn't remember it. All the students were out in the sun, not studying, having a great time. I saw the iconic tower and walked around inside and outside the brick buildings. 

I stopped at Elliston Place Soda Shop, and sat at the counter. It looked straight out of the past. The prices were also from the past...for eggs and a biscuit I paid $5.99. Amazing! 

I walked from there to the Parthenon, and for the first time I paid to see the art inside. I was really impressed! Not only did they have interesting pieces, but upstairs they had a giant - and I mean giant - statue of Athena. Totally worth the $10!

I met up with my friend Molly (and met her dog Frankie) and we walked all around Centennial Park. There's a bench that's a tribute to Taylor Swift, water, ducks, people, and swings to sit on when you want to talk! It was a wonderful place to hang out with Molly.

Kris and I had dinner with board friends at The Row Kitchen & Pub, and they even gave Kris a free dessert for his birthday, which I wanted and ate most of!

Our friends Erica and Jesse, who live in Indiana, just happened to be there, so we met up with them out on Broadway. We walked in and out of places, listening to the live music - which I love! It's just an exciting atmosphere with music pouring out of every place.

Day two

I ran to the capitol building and gave myself a little tour alongside the many classes there. The capitol building is set way up high on a hill, and it has lots to see around it on the grounds - Polk's grave, art displays, and a really beautiful display of the state's timeline. I really enjoyed exploring this area and spent a lot of time here.

I ran to the farmer's market, which had an indoor area, too. (Obviously more active in the summer - they have a setup for a huge outdoor area that was empty.) I ran back to Broadway and got ice cream at Jeni's Ice Creams, which was actually not my favorite. I had to work some, but I got tickets for later in the day to the Country Music Hall of Fame, since it was conveniently right across the street from our hotel. I didn't know many people on the second floor (old country), but I knew many more on the first floor (more modern, some Taylor Swift and Toby Keith, who had just died.) I couldn't help but to compare this to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which I liked better, but maybe that's just because I like the music more.

Kris got out of the meeting and we went up to the rooftop of Tootsies, which we both like. I love rooftop places! We went to dinner with our meeting friends to 'The Standard', and then out again on Broadway, hitting up many places based on if we liked their bands. It was interesting being out on a Wednesday night, because it seemed as if they were the bands that weren't quite as good as the weekend bands...but of course better than anywhere else you see!

Day three

I ran to Nissan Stadium across the pedestrian bridge again, then along the river and stopping when I hit a homeless encampment. It was a really nice place - I can see why people would pitch their tents there. The skyline of the city is also really pretty from the river. It was a quick trip to the airport and we made it home in time to see our son be part of the Guy/Girl dance at 7:00 p.m. that night. 

Even though I've been to Nashville many times, there were so many new places to see and things to do! It's a fun city for sure.












No comments:

Post a Comment