Saturday, February 17, 2024

Houston, Texas


Our family lives in Houston - Kris' sister Meghan, husband Jon, and kids Anna, William, and Benjamin. Kris' parents live half the year in Burnet, TX. Jon wrote a book - Redefine Your Servant Leadership, available here - and I had a very small part in it as an editor. As a thank you, Jon and Meghan flew us to the book launch party! What an amazing way to thank someone!! We were thrilled.

Though I've been to Houston, I've never been to their new house. We flew Spirit from Detroit to Houston for the low low price of $90! My father in law picked us up and navigated the traffic to their house. It was warm, there were palm trees, and it felt great. Jon's family came too - his parents, aunts, and uncle. 

Friday Jon and I ran to the bayou, a sort of river that borders their neighborhood. Kris and I took the little boys to Levy Park. We missed the exit and took a very busy highway to get there, but then - poof! We were in a neighborhood. The park was wonderful. Ping pong, putt putt, games, food trucks, and a cement slide and rolling turf hills that were just the right amount of fun and dangerous. 

Kris and I picked up Anna from school, went home, and got ready for the party. It was incredibly fun and we got to meet all the friends and colleagues we've heard about for years! (This was also my first book launch party. Highly recommend. So proud of Jon - he built his business from scratch.)

On Saturday, we got bagels from The Bagel Shop, and I have never seen them this colorful! Soooo attractive! We all went to the Houston Zoo. I haven't been to many zoos, and this is the best one I've ever seen. It was also set up so well. We stood under a water arch as sea lions swam above us, we saw lions, elephants, jaguar, and so many more close up, and it was wide open and great for walking. Meghan and her family have a pass, and she said they come all the time. It was also within a park which was really pretty.

After spending the morning there, we went to The Pit Room for some Texas BBQ. I am a recent eater of BBQ, and this place was great. Tasty, juicy, messy, priced right.

We spent the afternoon playing with kids, watching football, taking a nap, walking - depending on who you were - and then everyone congregated at their house for food from El Tiempo Cantina, one of their favorite places. They had their friends and kids over, and it was delicious and fun.

The adults all went to The Rustic to hear live music. It was such a cool place! Giant, bison and skulls on the walls, indoor/outdoor area, swings, a dirt floor, and a great band! We all danced, and I was perfectly happy. 

We saw people were eating giant desserts so we got 11 spoons for peanut butter pie and a smores creation. I thought I was full, but I managed to have a lot of both.

I drove Jon's car home on the giant highways, and they were pretty empty and easy to navigate. 

Thank you to SO MUCH Jon and Meghan for showing us Houston! 







No comments:

Post a Comment