Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Colorado


My brother went to the Air Force Academy, and my uncle, aunt, and cousins lived in Colorado, so I spent a lot of time here. However, it's been a long time since i was last here...somewhere around 18 years ago.

Day one

We used Turo again! (The Airbnb for cars.) This time was a little different, because instead of meeting us, she just left the car in the airport parking lot. She let us know the low tire light was on but it wasn't low...same as last Turo car! The car was great and still cheaper and faster to get than a rental car.

We drove to Boulder to hike. First we stopped at Moe's Broadway Bagel, just based on looks. It was one of those happy accidents where you get into line, it looks good, and then the line grows to 20 behind you and you know you lucked into good timing and delicious food.

My friend Andrea suggested the Mount Sanitas loop, and it was excellent! I told Kris I like when I'm hiking and you have to stop to rest. Steep, rocky, and a huge payoff at the top. Plus, all the leaves were changing, making it even more colorful! I took us about 2.5 hours. Highly recommend.

My cousin Lorelle and her husband Evan live close, so she suggested we meet at Avery Brewing Co. It was a brewery that has everything you want. View of mountains, twinkly lights, outdoor seating, and a good menu. They brought their dog, and a lot of other people did too.  (Before we met up with them we stopped at Asher Brewery which was also fine, but I preferred this one.) We had dinner, drinks, and a wonderful time. I love traveling, and seeing people I love makes it even better.

We drove to Englewood, CO right as the Broncos game was getting out - lots or traffic! We went to my cousin Greg and his wife Gerry's house for dinner. Again, seeing more wonderful people! They fed us dinner...including ice cream. Greg played a little piano, and really we just had a great time - too short.

We returned our car to the airport parking lot, walked to the ride share area, and took an Uber to our hotel, Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center. Our meeting was held here, and it was a fancy place - indoor pools and slides, outdoor pools, hot tubs, water slides, tennis, basketball, and many restaurants. It's also set off in a field by itself, and you can see the airport from across the field.

Day two

I ran outside and in the gym. They have free bike rental, so Kris and I took bikes around on paved paths around the hotel, and then behind the hotel, where we found oddly beautiful piles of discarded ice from some other convention center event. (Fancy hotel and my favorite thing was piles of multi-colored ice? Yes.)

After work I swam in the outdoor heated pool (it was 53 outside) and it was steaming, circled around the lazy river, went in the hot tub, and at night our meeting group went to Cattivella, which was a nice Italian restaurant where I had lamb...had only once before, pre-kids. Delicious.

We hung out with our group at the sports bar, which has a 75-foot tv screen. Not inches - feet! The Lions lost just the same, only bigger.

Day three

I ran on the paved paths around the hotel, and I went back to check on the melting ice. I worked and went to the meeting. They have an open dairy bar with ice cream, cheese, pizza, flurries, milk, etc., and I ate so much. (Side note on the meeting - it was really interesting, and I loved seeing the people I know from around the country and meeting new ones.) At night our group went to DiCicco's, another nice Italian place. 

On day two I realized I left my sunglasses in our Turo car, and the driver Kat said she worked at the airport and she'd leave them in the Southwest baggage claim office for me. She said, "Tell the people there they'll be in the second drawer of the file cabinet next to the scary clown." (Near Halloween this was fine.) They were, and I was so grateful for nice people!

Other places in Colorado I love include the Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, Estes Park, Pike's Peak...but since this was a work trip, we were mostly working. Next time!


Beautiful ice



Butter boards! All the rage

Make Every Drop Count

The meeting - about 750 people



No comments:

Post a Comment