Monday, March 21, 2022

Indianapolis, Indiana - Big Ten Tournament 2022!

In 2020 we came to Indianapolis when the Big Ten Tournament was cancelled, but our Airbnb could not be! This year was a redo for me. Kris has traveled to the Big Ten Tournament many times, but this was my first real time.

Eight of us total got a house together on Fletcher St. It seemed to be an Airbnb neighborhood! It was within walking distance of Gainsbridge Fieldhouse, though we did drive and park closer at one point when it was bitterly cold.

Thursday

We got there on Thursday night, and we ate at Kilroy’s before the game.

One of the things that Kris likes best about going to the tournament is that the atmosphere is awesome. Everyone’s watching basketball, everyone’s decked out in team gear, and everyone is in a good mood. I found this to be completely accurate! It was so much fun being out in the city with every bar and restaurant packed, every street full of people, and every TV tuned to basketball.

In the olden days, you could buy tickets from people on the street after their team lost. It’s not like that anymore. Now, you have to troll Stub Hub, Vivid Seats, and the university sites to get tickets. People post them as they lose, and you’re never sure when the right time to buy is. Basically the best strategy for us was to wait as long as possible to get tickets – usually about an hour before the game.

Gainsbridge Fieldhouse was great, and we loved cheering MSU to a win! They also sold ice cream cereal shakes that you could also add shots to - this is definitely not offered at Breslin. Delicious.

Afterward my brother wanted to sing karaoke, and I’m so glad he did! We went to the Wild Saloon and Kris and I sang a duet, and Gage sang Bad Company, by the band Bad Company, on the album Bad Company to ... good company? Ha! Such a fun night.

Friday

Jess and I got up and ran to the Sailors & Soldiers Monument. This was the same route as the marathon my sister Tracy and  I ran in November, and if you ever get the chance to see the nighttime show projected on it, you should. It’s glorious. I haven’t gone up in it yet, but I want to. 

We went to the Indiana State Capitol and since it was Friday, it was open! We walked all around it and admired how beautiful it was. Totally worth a tour or a self tour.

We watched the early game at home and then went to the Slippery Noodle, where Kate’s friends were having an event.

Again, we were at the Slippery Noodle in March 2020 when we heard the bars and restaurants were going to be closed, and I was so sad. Now – normal and joyful!

They all went to the game and I met up with my friend Erica, who watched the game with me at the Slippery Noodle – and a bunch of friendly MSU fans! Another win.

We had made a reservation for eating at St Elmo Steak House, one of Kris’ favorite steak places.

We had come in 2020, and I had a few bites of steak. They were delicious. I’d been having an issue with low iron, and I’d tried taking iron supplements, but they made me sick. While at St Elmo, I decided that maybe I was a meat eater now – after not eating meat for 24 years. That led to eating meat every once in awhile, to once a week, to now very frequently! And it all started in Indianapolis!

Now after two years of eating meat, I can confidently say that St Elmo is really good. However…it’s really expensive. I don’t get any bigger kick out of an expensive restaurant than I do a good, reasonably-priced restaurant. And the steak Kris makes at home with our own beef is the best, but that’s not something you’re probably going to get (check local listings). But thank you for the life changing experience, St Elmo!

Saturday

Indianapolis is a great city to run in (especially for the marathon) and it was this day too, despite it being 14 degrees. We then went to Gainsbridge Fieldhouse and got tickets for the game. Amazingly, Kate’s friend gave her tickets to a suite! We watched Michigan State lose, but we still had a blast.

We went to Sun King, a brewery we remembered from last time, and then ate at Dough King, a pizza place Andrew’s local friend recommended.

Then it was back to Fletcher Street, where they had a shower with a timer (so you can gauge how long you’re in) and a thermostat that tells you the exact temperature you’re turning the faucet to! I prefer 122 degrees, and take 5 minute showers, or even more when I’m messing with the faucet night of the king trying to figure out the right temperature.

It was interesting to see Indianapolis in the beginning of Covid, then lively for the marathon, then even more packed and vibrant for the tournament. It’s busy, but you can get in places. It’s a city, but you can drive around it AND FIND PARKING. I’m a huge fan of Indianapolis during rain, shine, pandemic, and back again on the other side!















No comments:

Post a Comment