Sunday, September 8, 2019

New York City in two days with kids





I used to live in Connecticut, and when people came we always took them to New York City.  We even spent New Year's Eve in Times Square!  It had been years, though, and I figured the boys should see the city that never sleeps, the Big Apple, the ... you get the point.  The big one.  New York City!  We did it, we had a great time, and I'd do it all over again.  (This time, though, I'd pay attention on the drive home and notice when my GPS altered to drive me through Canada, adding an hour to my drive since I was sans passport or birth certificates.  But if that's the only thing I'd change?!  Not half bad.)

Day one:
We drove to Edgewater, New Jersey, and stayed in the Comfort Inn.  It has free parking, it's right across the Hudson, and it makes staying close affordable.  We walked along the river to Target and picked up some food.  Lots of people walking and running to see along the way.  We ate singles of pizza just across the parking lot at the Pizza Club and stared at the city.  Max said it looked like the lost city of gold.  There were a lot of shopping carts thrown in the water and we saw men fishing who caught eels - one they put in a cooler, and one they draped on their unsuspecting friend's neck when he was turned away.  Everyone had a big laugh, including us!

Day two:

We drove to Liberty Island Park (this was a harrowing drive, even though it was only 30 minutes.  Drink your coffee first.  Lots of very fast traffic of people who actually knew where they were going.) and parked there for $7 for the whole day.  We had already bought tickets to the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  We bought our tickets for 10:30 a.m., but they let us on the 8:30 a.m. ferry.  "It doesn't really matter what your ticket says," the ticket taker told me.  "We just do that so it's staggered."  Good to know!

The ferry ride was exhilarating as always, and we rode on top to have the best view.  There weren't very many people - lots of empty seats, and I was surprised.  We went to Ellis Island first and honestly did the whole museum in less than an hour.  I love the part about the medical checks and how they sent people back if they had medical conditions or seemed mentally ill.  (How awful to make it all that way and then be turned away!)

I loved going to see the Statue of Liberty!  We wanted tickets to the head, but they were already sold out three months ago when I bought tickets.  https://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/  So we got tickets to the pedestal.  We tried listening to the audio tour, which is included in the price, but none of us liked it.  You do have to go through security once you're there, and you're not allowed to bring food.  They have $ .25 lockers to store things, but I just stashed mine behind a tree. Imagine my distress when they removed M&Ms from my purse that I had forgotten about!  They said I could go back out, but I didn't feel like going through security again and so they threw them away.  I'm over it, I promise.

We walked up to the pedestal up many stairs and LOVED the view.  I hadn't done this, and I loved it.  We all did.

We went through the museum and learned all about it, and then we went outside and looked at it from the front.  So fun!  So huge!

We saw a ferry coming in and it was PACKED.  Apparently we were just there early.  We got back on and took the ferry to New York City, where it docks at Battery Park.

 It was now about 10:30 a.m.  We checked out Battery Park, the Esplanade, (my mom's favorite), and made our way to the 911 Memorial.

I know - I KNOW - that New Yorkers have the stereotype of being rude and unhelpful.  I've never found this to be true, and especially didn't experience it this time.  We had to ask a few people - security guards, parking attendants, random people on the street - the right way, and everyone was falling all over themselves to help us.  So kind!

We made it to the memorial and it was incredibly moving.  I explained to the boys that a lot of the people at it were alive when it happened, and it makes it that much more meaningful to us.  I went up in the Twin Towers the first time I was in NYC, and I went there not long after the terrorist attack.  So seeing the 911 Memorial now brought it all back.

It's next to Oculus and the new One World Trade Center.  Such beautiful architecture.

We split a package of Oreos I bought at a Walgreens inside Oculus.  My kids were thrilled at this rare treat.  This isn't a foodie blog, can you tell?

Side note - there are drinking fountains ALL OVER the city, and my kids stopped at so many of them.  Public bathrooms also weren't a problem, as most stores had them, just a floor up or down.

We walked to Chinatown and Little Italy, taking in the sights.  We went into New York City Hall.  We stopped and had gelato, and we saw a TV show being filmed.  The boys bought I heart NY shirts, of course.  We went to Washington Square Park and saw the men playing chess, all the people relaxing after work, and a beautiful arch and fountain.  Lovely.

We walked back to Battery Park and caught the New York Water Taxi back across the Hudson to Liberty Park.  We drove home - much less traffic - and ate again at the Pizza Club, staring at the city.

Day three:

We took bus 158 from right from our hotel's street (River Rd) to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street in Times Square.  It's $4.50 a person, but the driver told me my kids could get on for free!  (Again, those nice New Yorkers.)

We got off right in the heart of Times Square.  (I bought my return bus tickets then from the ticket agent, which were good for any time that night.) We walked around, and headed over to Central Park.  We played in a water feature with kids speaking many different languages, walked to the castle, walked the Literary Walk, ate our packed lunch by a fountain, posed on the Group of Bears sculpture, and enjoyed the nature.

We went to Times Square and experienced the JOY of the people, stores, and sights.  We went in the Nike store, M&Ms, Legos, Gucci, Trump Tower, and one of their now-favorites, FAO Schwarz.  (It was amazing for kids and adults.  Yes, they played the giant piano with their feet, but the highlight was the magicians they had selling magician kits.  I think they may have really been magic.)

We hung out in Times Square for about ten minutes, just watching people and the lights and the screens.  I love that Times Square feeling.

We all liked Rockefeller Center, then Atlas, St Paul's Cathedral, and the New York Public Library (not what I expected.  You can skip this one.  We needed wi-fi for the boys to use their accounts to check their school schedules.)  Half of us wanted burritos for dinner, and half of us wanted ice cream, so we ate 2/2 and then ... Phantom of the Opera!

I debated on whether to take them, because I wasn't sure if it was worth buying a great ticket - would the cheap tickets still be okay to see?  I told them the people would be very small.  BUT.  Broadway seemingly (haha) knows what it's doing, because the view was fantastic, and we loved it.  The boys often cite this as their favorite thing we did in New York City.  (Sometimes they answer the Statue of Liberty.  Both pretty impressive, yes, but less music in one.)

We got out of the play and experienced another one of my favorite things - it was 10:45 p.m. and the city was ALIVE with people.  Going places, dressed up, heading out.  I love that!

We caught the same bus back to our hotel and went to bed, happy.

Day four:

We drove to my lovely cousin's house, just an hour north of the city.  I love their whole family.  They'll probably let you stay, too.

Enjoy New York City, and let me know if you have any questions!     


No comments:

Post a Comment